Wednesday, April 09, 2003

Wednesday Track Listing

1. Korn - ADIDAS techno remix
2. Rob Zombie - Go To California
3. Rancid - Ruby Soho
4. Notorious BIG - Hypnotize
5. Beatles - She Said She Said
6. Marilyn Manson - I Don't Like The Drugs
7. Kid Rock - Wasting Time
8. Rolling Stones - Gimme Shelter
9. Notorious BIG w/ Method Man - The What
10. Wyclef Jean - Perfect Gentleman

It's a bright, sunny day here in my corner of the continental United States, and I'm in an appropriately "up" mood (the large ammount of caffeine I've ingested doesn't hurt either). Nothing too esoteric on the list today; mostly turn-up-the-volume-and-scream-along-with-the-chorus stuff.

A special note needs to be made of Gimme Shelter - I know that I'm retreading ground that has been stomped flat by legions of folk already, but I need to say that it is one of the greatest songs ever written. From the opening guitar riff to the amazing backup vocals, this is one of those songs that makes me want to be driving at high speeds through the middle of a major city with a carload of friends on the way from blow up party to blow up party. I may have my issues with Mick Jagger (who is quite possibly the Ugliest Man Alive), but this song is absolutely brilliant.

Also, I should use this opportunity to point out that the world would be a better place if there were more MCs out there with the skill of BIG and Method Man. I am continually impressed by even their older stuff. I mean, come on, how many people can come up with a line like:

"Assume the position,
Stop look and listen,
I spit on your grave then I grab my Charles Dickens,
Bitch."

Do you have any idea how many people I've wanted to say something like that to, but just couldn't come up with the proper formulation? Civilized? Absolutely not. But still brilliant. And damn good fun. Useful in various late-night bar situations.

Edit: djhlights has been kind enough to point out to me one of the primary dangers of dealing with songs downloaded off the net...getting the name of a song wrong, and looking like a buffoon (and making it quite obvious that you weren't born early enough to experience a song at its peak of popularity). Oh well. This post has been edited accordingly.

No comments: