Tuesday, February 18, 2003

An Old Discussion That Will Become Relevant Again Someday Soon

Another interesting thing I learned from Michael Savage today was that failure to pass a law requiring a photo ID at the polling place during elections is voter fraud, and because Democrats don't support such laws, they are traitors who hate democracy.

This seemed odd to me, as I had always voted Democratic, and yet I didn't recall having a vicious hatred of democracy. So I thought about it for approximately three seconds, and came up with a very big reason why such laws would be bad.

In the form of a series of questions:

A) Do you have a photo ID other than your driver's license? (Passports do not count, as most people do not have or need them. School/work IDs don't either, as they cannot be accepted as a legal form of identification)

B) What groups of people are least likely to have a driver's license?

If you answered A) No and B) A large chunk of the Democratic constituency (urban residents, working class, poor, etc.), you just figured out why this isn't a voter fraud issue, but a partisan issue.

The next time you hear someone whining about the necessity of preventing voter fraud by requiring photo ID, remember that what they're really saying is "I want to keep a lot of Democrats (or just poor people in general) from voting." And while you are allowed to hold that opinion, you are not allowed to put the force of the law behind it.

Update: After looking around, I see that these folks have some good reasons too. But I like my reason best. Brevity is the soul of something or other.

No comments: