Saturday, February 22, 2003

Knock One Down, Prop One Up

Now that we know what movies not to see, what movies should everybody see right away?

My suggestion for this weekend: The Salton Sea.

This movie actually took me by surprise. I rented it about two months ago because Joshua Todd has a bit role in it. Todd, as the lead singer of the now-broken up Buckcherry, is officially the Coolest Man in the World, and I pretty much just wanted to see him (he also had a bit role in an episode of The Shield, which longtime readers know I love).

As it turns out, the movie was incredible.

It's an independent film (although that distinction has kind of lost its magic in the last few years) that I don't think ever hit theaters- or at least if it did, it was an extremely limited run.

Val Kilmer is in it, and whether or not you like his work, he is amazing in this movie.

Basically, it's a movie about speed freaks, trumpet players, and revenge. It doesn't sound like it would work, but it really, really does. Also, it has some of the most beautiful trumpet music I've ever heard...I didn't even know the trumpet could make sounds that could be described as "beautiful."

Anyway. The Mighty Reason Man has spoken. Go watch.

No comments: